Texmaker is a cross-platform open source LaTeX editor with interface similar to Kile. While Kile uses the KDE Platform, Texmaker remains entirely a Qt app.
New projects can be started with a wizard, creating letter, article, etc. formats. Texmaker is capable of inline spell checking. As of January 2011, Texmaker cannot add new words to the dictionary (or ignore a word in spell check). For that capability, TexStudio (a Texmaker fork) can be used. The dictionary file used can be specified by the user. Like most other text editors Texmaker is equipped with a unicode editor to write LaTeX source files with syntax highlighting, undo-redo, search-replace. Some of the LaTeX tags and mathematical symbols can be entered with a mouse.
Another feature of Texmaker is creating tables, tabulars, figure environments etc. with quick wizards.
some other features:
- Document and section templates
- LaTeX-related programs can be launched
- BibTeX database management
- An outline or “structure view”
- Logfiles during LaTeX compilation and the ability to “step through” source errors that are discovered by the compiler
- An integrated LaTeX to HTML conversion tool